Bring Baby With: Local Travel with Kid(s)

As a stay at home parent, or as a parent in general leaving the house currently feels more like a preparing for a NASA launch then running to the library. Both have and or need a standard operating procedure and the day off there are many unforeseen variables. I mean many variables. When my wife is around it's easier. One of us will hold Thaddeus (great name right?) and the other will run around and pack.

I have found that while holding the child you remember everything you need. Well almost everything, I have the bad habit of forgetting to pack a toy for him to play with. Despite that fact that the floor is laced with toys as if it's a mine field. I rarely remember to bring along toy(s) for him to play with. That is mainly because he has created a new fun game. Throw my stuff to the ground and watch adults pick it up. Oh it's 1/8 a hoot and 7/8 not a hoot.



With proper planning though, a trip with a kid or maybe many kids isn't as bad as it could be. Today Thaddeus and I took my wife's car to the tire shop to get them replaced. So to help fill the estimated time of an hour and half, and knowing that it would be closer to three hours. He and I went across the way to a coffee shop. Thaddeus got his own cup of water with a bendy straw. His life was forever changed. We found a nice table and I busted out my laptop so I could work on my real estate duties.

He was very good. Stay calm, quite and was beloved by employee's and middle aged women. He is a cherub little baby with bright blue eyes. I'd post a picture of him, but I haven't receive Mommy release papers and I still believe in imagination. The over all trip lasted almost four hours.

I do believe that one of the reasons that the trip went so well and smoothly, was because I do have and use a mini-checklist before leaving the house. My list has developed and evolved with the child. It came about from sheer repetition.

I recommend during some of your limited down time. You pause and think about those items you grab on a regular almost daily basis. write them down in order of importance. Diaper, diaper changing pad, bottle, formula, wipes etc. Next write out those some time items. That favorite book or teething ring. That CD you play to help sooth them to sleep. I would also recommend either buying another copy of it, or making a copy of that CD.

I use that same bag over and over again. I have actually used my old back out to the point where the straps are breaking loose. BUT I now have a new bag. I pack and repack that bag every night with the first tier items. Now some people out there have a large diaper bag. I personally could not find one that didn't make me feel ridiculous and was functional. By functional I mean easy to carry, and didn't just fit in the stroller under basket. It also had to be easy to get in and out.  I should tell you I am a demanding dude.

Since I already have 80% packet up and it's the must have stuff. Baby and children will get bored when you bring them places and if they aren't getting bored than you're not bringing them to the right places. Only having to pack up and figure out the last 20% is a cake walk. It also will make it so when you go places, you'll be able to last longer and enjoy yourself because you'll have your first, second and third line of travel parenting items at the ready.

Sincerely
Joe Nickels

No comments:

Post a Comment