Practicing Patience with Zen Herb Gardening

Thyme, Spearmint and Oregano

Every morning I do roughly the same thing. Some call it routine I call it a system. From my vague understanding of the world my routine will help my newborn son group up to enjoy structure and be organized. I hope that's true. But he is is father's son so he'll probably just go about life in flurry of fun and energy. Either way he'll do me proud. (We'll check back in 18 years on that statement)

One of the things my wife and I have started up not just for him but for us. Is a small herb garden. We live in a town house that is actually smaller then our first apartment in Houston, TX. Go figure, huh? Knowing that living longer is now a bigger goal with a baby. We've taken to the garden centers are have started a small herb garden. This little bundle next this text was bought at "Trader Joe's". It's a mix of spearmint, oregano and thyme. I'm still in the process of figuring out what to do with thyme is other then use it as beautiful herbal pun. If you have suggestion. Post a comment for me.


The purchase of that plant almost doubled our herbal garden plant. We started out with a basil plan since buying basil is well, very expensive. Next we got cilantro, chives and parsley. All three of those are great tasting herbs to be added to foods. However we rarely need a full bushel of cilantro. So it became a waste of 59 cents. Don't judge me on wanting to save fifty-nine cents. Since these are fresh herbs, and have no chemicals added. We bust off the occasional leaf or chives and let our son chew on it. He is not always a fan.

Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More

I am not known for being Mr Center and cool. If the truth is out there, let me bring it home. I have been feeling extra stressed and other negative emotions since being laid off in early 2011, and loosing half of my earnings. That was a blow to my manliness. So to help remedy this and to help me feel like I'm helping out. I went old school man. I went to tilling my urban fields Since we do live in a city in a townhouse. I had to go out and and create a field to till. Since then I have been feeling a little calmer and centered. Not sure why but it does. I check on them a couple times a day. Make sure the soil is damp but not soaked and so forth.
Cilantro, Chives and Parsley. 

Still need to get more soil to add to it. Now that I've hit the minutia part of my story I'll tell you why I recommend doing something like this. It is nice and calming to have a little something to watch over that doesn't poop on you or drool. This is a skill and something you can learn and share with your kids as they grow. In the near to distant future me and the Mrs. will have to figure out if we plan to trust the public schools. I feel as though taking the time to involve children eve if it's only on the weekends on something like this is a great thing.


Booming Basil Section
So far roughly a month into the home garden experience we have been able to make some home made pesto. Two cups of basil from a store would probably have cost more than the $3 dollar plant we bought. It's also now replenishing himself. So every time I make pesto from here out out I'll be saving money.... or not. I'm not worried about it. We have also increased our use of chives. Now that is one under rate herb. I'd say give it a spin and see if it can tickle your taste buds just right.



If you're feeling like you're system is more routine than a routine system or if you just feel like you need a little 2 X 4 area that will make the house smell nice and can be yours. I'd highly... highly recommend take a look into in home apartment styles herbal gardening. I'm not against other types of gardening. But I like the idea of growing something you can eat. It'll make you feel primal in a good way.



Stay Sane My Friends
Sincerley
Joe Nickels




No comments:

Post a Comment