Let Sleeping Babies Lie


I would say roughly three or four years after napping was no long allowed in school and was not made mandatory by adults, that time frame is right about the time that I wanted, needed and started to pray for naps. Yes, even to this day I wish I could nap. Now there are some people out there who will say, “Dude, you sir are a stay at home father. Who is also all that is man, plus a mustache that makes Tom Selleck took like a teenage boy”. I know all this, and I accept those praises. Part of what makes me all those things, is proper time management and forsaking naps, so I can accomplish more awesome then Tom Selleck did in “Mr. Baseball”.


Two to three times I a day face a show down that would make Tom Selleck’s character Quigley frustrated and cower in fear. I have to try and tire out, trick, or force a new born to sleep. Some days are easier than others. That is true with almost everything in life.

Recently I learned a harsh parenting lesson. If and when a baby falls asleep on the floor, leave the baby alone. Put safety cones around the child before moving them to their bed. I for one would prefer to sleep in my bed. I am not a fan of the couch nap, the floor nap of the sack nap. I do like camping though. Go figure. This situation was not covered in Tom Selleck’s classic film Three Men and a Baby



My wife and her parents spent good money on the Sorelle Princeton Convertible Crib & Changer & Changer. Side note: It was easier to put together than thought, no fighting occurred between my wife and myself. So the crib only had positive energy going into it. THAT however does not change the fact that our child hates it, does not like to sleep in it, on it or near it. The mattress is comfortable and the sheets are fresher than the ones I use. To our baby it’s the place away from mommy and daddy. It’s like a fluffy, soft floored cage.

Knowing the time and money spent on the crib. I do want him to use it and to enjoy it like no other. He has different feelings toward it. On one occasion he’s fallen asleep on the floor. I attempted to move him softly and gently. It could best be described as a reverse robbery. I laid him down to sleep so gently I almost fell asleep. The removing of my hand from his head was enough to wake him up like a roaring baby volcano.

Thaddeus is my first child, so I am not sure about all other babies out there. But he can be so asleep that he not only looks like a Cabbage Patch dolll, but he can basically be handled like one. In that stage, it is the safest and best time to cut his nails. Other parents let me know if I’m way off on that. On the reverse side, he can sleep so lightly he reminds of a young and agile Tom Selleck. The kid as Magnum PI reflexes. The day of this move was a Magnum PI day.

He was then awake the rest of the day, running around. Thaddeus continued to be an adorable baby.  He was a little cranky, since his father was less subtle than he should have been. Where you expecting another Tom Selleck reference? I thought about it, but I decided like Jesse Stone, to take the high road. The day continued like any other, laughs, baby crying, couple walks for health and fresh air.

Even though it was technically a very uneventful day, that lesson resonates. If I can be frank it almost haunts me. I am nervous and cautious when holding and transporting the child anyway. Knowing that his naps are vital to his health and my sanity, I try not to disrupt him when I can. I try to let him sleep and grow. I’m sure as you know a well rested baby is one of the best gifts in the world.

So please remember to let sleeping babies lie.

Sincerely

No comments:

Post a Comment